Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

DISC: 8-8-09

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Craig S
Administrator/Developer
Administrator/Developer
Craig S

DISC: 8-8-09 Empty
PostSubject: DISC: 8-8-09   DISC: 8-8-09 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 09, 2009 9:36 am

Well, we started towards Olivia/Redwood Falls as the initial target. It would have been the northeast side of the low and along the warm front.

Two problems with yesterday. First, the 700mb temps were just too darn warm at +16C!!! You cannot get good storms that way. Second was that monster supercell that started near Sioux Falls and went almost all the way to Redwood Falls. That may have sucked much of the energy out of the atmosphere.

So, we drove 304 miles just to get home and 1 hour later a tornado drops about 5 miles from where we had driven a short while before! *^%$@#$!

I commented before we even left that the 700mb temps were too warm, but I went anyway. CAPE, shear, front for lift, moisture like crazy (some dewpoints hitting 80) and it all means nothing when mother nature puts the cap on!!! Oh, when will I learn? Perhaps we shouldn't call it storm chasing. Maybe we should just call it a "nice day for a drive as long as you have air conditioning."
Back to top Go down

DISC: 8-8-09
Page 1 of 1